More than 50 fires a day are started by candles. Read our top tips to keep your home safe.
• Make sure candles are secured in a fire resistant holder and away from materials that may catch fire – like furniture and curtains.
• Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.
• Always leave at least 10cm between burning candles/tea lights and never place them under shelves or other enclosed spaces.
• Put candles out when you leave the room and make sure they’re put out completely before you go to bed.
• Never leave burning candles unattended.
• Never burn a candle right down into the holder.
• Use a snuffer or a spoon to put out candles. It’s safer than blowing them out when sparks can fly.
• Never use candles in or near a tent.
• You increase the risk of fire or injury if you move a candle while it is lit. Always put candles/tea lights out and leave to cool down before you try to move them.
• Keep candles, matches and lighters away from children and pets. The above safety advice can also apply to joss sticks, oil and incense burners.